Dr Kelvin Quek
MBBS (S’pore), MMed (Anaes), PGCCU (Melb)
Specialty: Anaesthesiology / Regional and Airway Anaesthesia
Dr Kelvin Quek is a board-certified Anaesthesiologist with subspecialty Fellowship training in regional and airway anaesthesia. He graduated from the National University of Singapore and obtained full specialist certification with the Singapore Medical Council.
Thereafter, he received the Health Manpower Development Programme (HMDP) award to pursue subspecialty training in regional and airway anaesthesia at the quarternary state referral centre at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, before returning to Changi General Hospital as a Consultant Anaesthesiologist.
Dr Kelvin is proficient in ultrasound-guided regional anaesthesia techniques and has obtained post-graduate certification in clinical ultrasonography. The addition of ultrasound-guided regional anaesthesia on top of traditional anaesthesia techniques both increases his repertoire, and ensures that suitable patients achieve the safest and best possible functional outcomes after major surgery.
Dr Kelvin is an invited Faculty at various local and international anaesthesia conferences, and the organising Chairperson of the Cadaveric Advanced Airway Workshop, the first of its kind in Asia and Oceania, which attracts international doctors. He is actively involved in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and serves as a Clinical Senior Lecturer with the National University of Singapore and Core Faculty of the Singhealth Anaesthesiology Residency Program. In addition, he has been appointed as the Director of Airway Services, co-Director of the Centre for Advanced Clinical and Surgical Skills, and Program Director of the Advanced Airway Management and Simulation Fellowship at Changi General Hospital.
Selected Honours & Publications:
- Awarded the Ministry of Home Affairs’ Overseas Service and Operational Excellence Medals for humanitarian missions as the Ops Lionheart Contingent doctor to Sumatra and Pakistan 2005.
- 2nd Prize, 1st Eastern Health Alliance Annual Scientific Meeting, Best Oral poster award for “The LMA Supreme is an effective alternative to endotracheal intubation in patients undergoing elective laparoscopic cholecystectomy” 2012.
- Merit Award, Singhealth-Duke NUS Surgical & Anaesthesia Congress (also presented at Euroanaesthesia 2017, Geneva, Switzerland), Best poster award, “A 2-year audit of the Emergency Airway Service in a Singaporean regional hospital” 2017.
- “Bilateral rectus sheath blocks as the single anaesthetic technique for an open infraumbilical hernia repair” Singapore Med J. 2014 Mar;55(3): e39-41.
- “Tackling the axillary blind spot with PECS II” Anaesthesia. 2015 Feb;70(2):230-1. doi: 10.1111/anae 13005.
- “Adding a PECS II block for proximal arm arteriovenous access – a randomised study” Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2018 May;62(5):677-686. doi: 101111/aas.13073. Epub 2018 Jan 22.