Our Pain Specialists
Dr Darren Phua
MBBS (S’pore), M.Med, FIPP (USA), FAMS
Specialty: Anaesthesiology / Pain Medicine
Dr Darren Phua is a Singapore specialist board certified Anaesthesiologist with sub‐specialty Fellowship training in chronic and interventional pain medicine. Dr Phua trained in one of the largest and most well established pain and anaesthesiology programs in Canada, the University of Toronto. Currently serving as Medical Director of Novena Pain Management Centre at Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital, Dr Phua hopes to increase awareness of pain management while bringing holistic pain care to his patients.
Dr Phua graduated with the MBBS from the National University of Singapore. Thereafter, he completed his Masters of Medicine (Anaesthesiology) before attaining Specialist Board accreditation in Singapore. He pursued his subspecialty interest in Pain Medicine with a Fellowship at the University of Toronto and also qualified as a Fellow of Interventional Pain Practice (World Institute of Pain, USA). Dr Darren Phua is, in addition, a qualified Fellow of the Academy of Medicine (Singapore).
With dedicated Fellowship training in pain management and minimally invasive interventional pain procedures, Dr Phua’s clinical expertise includes the administration of targeted, minimally invasive nerve blocks, radio-frequency therapy, neurolytic blocks and implant management. These procedures may reduce pain and dependence on pain medications while avoiding the risks and costs involved with major surgery.
Dr Phua maintains a keen interest in teaching and research, having published numerous scientific publications and abstracts in local and international peer‐reviewed scientific journals. Believing that teaching the future generation of physicians is paramount to continued medical innovation, Dr Phua serves as Clinical Senior Lecturer with the National University of Singapore, School of Medicine, and previously as Core Faculty with the Singhealth Anaesthesiology Residency Program. He has been awarded the Dean’s award for Teaching Excellence (NUS) in addition to Eastern Healthcare Alliance’s Best Teacher Award. Currently, Dr Phua continues to teach, train and impart clinical skills in his role as a Visiting Consultant with Changi General Hospital.
- Dean’s Award for Teaching Excellence (AY2009/2010) – National University of Singapore
- Best Teacher Award (Undergraduate) – Eastern Healthcare Alliance
- Merit Prize, Singapore Society of Anaesthesiologists General Scientific Meeting, Best Poster award, for “The Shikani Optical Stylet as an alternative to the Glidescope Videolaryngoscope in simulated difficult intubations – A randomized controlled trial” 2011
- Merit Prize, Singapore – Duke University Anaesthesia and Critical Care Update, for “The Endoflex Endotracheal Tube in Glidescope Intubations – An Alternative to the Rigid Stylet?” 2008
- Merit Award for Anaesthesia Medical Officers, Singapore Society of Anaesthesiologists
- Letter of Commendation, presented by the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Defence for dedication and contribution in the effort against SARS, 2003